EFI for Propane

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Fri Feb 26 23:12:18 GMT 1999

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 ScottyCBoy at aol.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:48:07 EST
> From: ScottyCBoy at aol.com
> To: diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: EFI for Propane
>
> I've got a question or two:
>
> Has anyone though about or attempted designind an EFI system for
> Propane/Butane fuel. I would think that liquid propane entering an intake
> manifold at 300 PSI at -80 degrees or whatever it boils at would do wonders to
> lower intake temps, plus with a stoich ratio nearing that of Gasoline and an
> Ocatne rating of 130 seems like it would be an ideal fuel for super high
> performance turbo charged engines.. Not to mention the fact that all those EPA
> CARB guys would love Propane's low emmision exhaust gasses. Has anyone found
> an electronic fuel injector capable of withstanding the high pressures and low
> temperatures for such a setup?

I've driven propane taxis, and have a propane endorsment on my mechanics
licence propane is a good fuel -> almost instant heat in the winter much
cleaner fuel. I haven't seen liquid injection though, good idea.

you may have problems with refueling stations ( I once had to leave a
truck in Georgia because none of the propane companies beleive a truck
would run on propane ( they didn't beleive that the adaptor was for
propane 8((

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8