Different Strokes

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Mon Feb 1 04:42:37 GMT 1999

David Sagers wrote:

> In a conversation with the machine shop this afternoon the engine builder said I should consider going with a shorter stroke.  I can build a 4" stroke 434 ci, a 3.75" 406 ci, or a 3.48" stroke 355 ci engine.  The block I have is already clearanced for the 4" stroke so the additional cost of preparing the block isn't a factor.   I already own the 4" crank and rods, and the crank can be traded out for a shorter stroke without any additional cost.

The SBC needs longer rods. The local 434 alcohol motors turn 7500+ and make 675+ HP w/ a 4BBL and a Donovan aluminum block. The longer stroke motors are hard on blocks and cranks, stock blocks won't last at all in a 432. 410s are now the rage. I have also seen a 355 (400 block 327 crank) at 11000 rpm. 383s, and 377s. Mine is a 6" rod 406. Turbo motors need extremely strong bottom ends.  IMHO, the 432 will break the block a 6000 rpm w/ 15 lbs boost,
and the crank will be gone too. Go with the 406 or smaller.   just another $.02   Tom