Power ground

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 2 19:44:02 GMT 1999

At 01:32 PM 1/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
>  I have a 1982 280ZX turbo with the Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection.  I
>have been told that after modifying timing, etc. the battery ground should
>be disconnected for a period of time in order to reset the ECM.  I have also
>been told that both, negative and positive, terminals should be
>disconnected.  The time interval has been anywhere from 5 min to overnight.
>Does the power ground,  as described below, explain why both terminals
>should be disconnected to reset the ECM??  Or am I reading to much into what
>is being said?  Could someone please tell me the correct way to reset the ECM?

The memory of the computer is stored in RAM that is fed by the car battery
(thru the appropriate regulators etc).
Due to the low current drain of the RAM, you'll need to disconnect one
battery terminal (not both) and probably leave them off for 5 minutes for
all capacitors in the ECM to fully discharge.
Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.