Voltage regulator

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Sat Jan 2 21:05:48 GMT 1999

David A. Cooley wrote:

> At 04:55 AM 1/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
> >How about using a big pump and cutting the voltage when all that
> >capacity is not required? Will the pump last longer, etc.???
> >

> That would be almost as bad as overvoltage...  Under voltage can kill them
> as well.
>            David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
>      Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA   T.A.P.R. Member #7068
>        I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.
Actually, no. An AC motor is definitely sensitive to low voltage, for
various reasons. A DC motor does NOT suffer this way. A 24 volt motor
will run on 12 volts virtually forever, as long as the load placed on it
does not cause it to overload and overheat, or most dangerous, stall.
Using PWM control is better yet, as it does NOT reduce the peak
voltage/torque at all - it just modulates it. PWM control on a DC type
motor reduces speed without APPRECIABLY reducing torque.This "chopper"
type control, with feedback, could be used to control fuel pressure as
accurately as the current vacuum modulated spring type regulators - if
you can also control "bypass" to avoid vapour problems.