Voltage regulator

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 00:16:28 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-01-02 18:49:42 EST, bearbvd at sni.net writes:

>The current/load/speed/torque characteristics for a shunt wound DC motor
>were outlined in an earlier post.
>
>A series wound DC motor's characteristic is a hyperbolic curve: very high
>torque at low speed, very low torque at very high speed.

It's good to know shunt/ series motor theory.  Though it's full effect is lost
on the original app discussed ( running a OEM fuel pump at a < or > voltage)
Most if not all OEM intank or external pumps are permanent magnet style.  The
Holley Blue or Red pump may have field coils as well as some other aftermarket
pumps.

As for running a pump at reduced voltage.  The ~85 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3 Turbo (
same engine as a SVO Mustang) uses a resistor wire simillar to a ignition
resistor.  The ~ 86 Reanult Alliance ( ala American Motors) used a regular
ingition ballast resistor in series with the pump.

I seem to remember some make of car using a resistor to reduce pump noise as
low throttle openings. Then bypassing the resistor near WOT to insure adequate
fuel flow.

I think late model Chryslers use a variable (most likely PWM ) fuel pump on
their single line EFI systems.  They have eliminated the return line on some
engines.

Harold