Voltage regulator

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Sun Jan 3 01:27:50 GMT 1999

Greg Hermann wrote:

> >At 01:55 PM 1/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >

> >>Hence, the proper answer of PWM.
> >
> >Exactly!
> >The pump still sees full voltage, it just has it for a limited time!
>
> C'mon--the PWM switch LOWERS the AVERAGE voltage by switching teh FULL
> voltage on and off rapidly. As I said, you want good smoothing of the
> output, cuz the rapid pulsing IS what will dissassemble the windings!
>
> Regards, Greg
> >
> >===========================================================
> >           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
> >     Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA   T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> >       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.
DC motors designed for PWM control are of the "universal" variety, with
laminated cores - capable of running on AC as well as DC - or permanent
magnet field with laminated armatures. Yes, the inductance DOES tend to
smooth out the peaks - but try running two identical motors at the same
reduced "average" voltage - one with a pwm and one with a resistor. You
know what you will find. Right, the PWM controlled motor will have
significantly more torque, assuming the pwm controller is properly built
and designed. Just try out an electronic controlled variable speed drill
vs a resistance controlled variable speed drill.