GM V6

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Sun Jan 3 08:56:15 GMT 1999

Geoff Richards wrote:

> Am interested in info on 3.8l V6 as fitted to Holden vehicles (Aus) I
> believe they are Buick engines but do not understand the relationship
> between them and GM.

Geoff,
   GM is the parent company, and Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac,
Oldsmobile, and GMC Truck are their divisions.  Oh, and so is Saturn -
almost forgot them. Mostly they just build the same basic cars in different
styles for various target consumer groups, and have since before WWII.
   Back in the early '70s GM started allowing the different divisions to
trade engines back and forth so that the Olds you got might have a Chevy V8
or a Buick V6 in it...or your Pontiac Trans Am might have a 403 Olds...it
can get pretty confusing, but basically the Buick V6 has been around since
the early '60s and is a child of the aluminum Buick 215 cum Rover 3.5 V8.
It has been sold in Jeeps, passenger cars in probably all of GM's
divisions, etc. The turbo versions are available in Buick Regals (of which
a Grand National is one), primarily, with a few going into GMC
Syclone/Typhoon trucklets (would that make them utelets to you? :-) and
Anniversary Edition Trans Ams. There are probably others that got the
turbo.
   Engine is still produced, I believe, and is available in supercharged
form in the Pontiac Grand Prix.

Now will you please explain Australia's muscle car era to me?

Aaron