Voltage regulator

Wen Yen Chan chanwe at ecf.utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 4 13:42:58 GMT 1999

Hello,

In most of the DC motor drive circuits I've played with the only filtering
between the controller and the motor was there to cut down the RFI.
Generally the inductance of the motor coils and the inertia of the rotor
is enough to smooth out the pulsations. Due to the coil inductance and the
freewheeling diodes the current through the motor is fairly constant (at a
given setting) even though the input voltage may be turning on and off. The
average current through the motor's coils is roughly (the average input
voltage - the back EMF)/(DC coil resistance). The magnitude of the ripple
(pk-pk) is roughly ((Peak input voltage)-(back EMF)-(average current)*(DC
coil resistance))/(2*(switching freq)*inductance). The back EMF is
proportional to speed and motor flux.