corvairs?????

Robert W. Hughes rwhughe at hal-pc.org
Mon Jan 4 17:37:41 GMT 1999

> I would think a gm v-6 system would do the trick. something of the same or
> slightly larger displacement.

The system off of a 2.8L GMV6 should be just about perfect. The system
off of a Fiero V6 would probably be best since this was a high
performance unit with a MAP sensor. Even the PROM tables would probably
be very close except for engine temp (my Corvair used to run 300-400deg
head temp where my Fiero runs 195). The two engines are similar in bore
and stroke and camshaft timing and the 2.8 distributor is the small type
so its guts could probably be transplanted into the Corvair distributor,
The biggest problem would be the intake. Ideally you would mill off the
intake manifold and add 6 individual runners to a plenum mounted above
the fan with the throttle body mounted on this. This would require a
modified throttle linkage like the single four-barrel installation.
There would be a lot of detail changes but it would be a really neat car
when complete.
--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering