Need H_elp with an 89 MPFI 2.8 V6 (Need MAF...)

thergen at svn.net thergen at svn.net
Mon Jan 4 19:43:21 GMT 1999

I had a 2.8 with a bad MAF.  Rapping on the MAF with a screw driver (don't
smash it) would cause the car to stumble at idle.  I think the car had
about 20k miles on it at the time.

With a bad MAF, I found drivability was acceptable (not great) if I simply
disconnected the MAF.  There was a MAP only prom available (search the
TSBs) for my application that could be used instead of replacing a bad
MAF.

At 115k miles, the alternator went bad (I think the six year old battery
contributed to its death).  It was the 100 amp model.  The diode bridge
was partially visible (remove plastic cover off back of alternator case)
and the diode's package looked blistered from heat.  It ran very hot
compared to the replacement unit.

Silicone may not have been the best choice for sealing the [air] temp
sensor.  The O2 sensor may be affected.  Anyone have comments on this?

The same vehicle could also develope an unstable idle after highway
driving while sitting at a stop light for an extended period.  It turns
out the O2 sensor was lazy, but no trouble codes were set.  Replacing the
O2 sensor fixed the problem.

Chicago huh?  Is your S10 4wd? I felt fortunate to get a plane out of
there after the holidays before the snow hit.

hth,
Tom