Old Thread - pulse width

West, David djwest at subcorp.com.au
Tue Jan 5 02:37:36 GMT 1999

Hello all and happy new year.

To all the people that had input on the pulse width and broken turbo
discussion - thanks.

I finally fixed the car - out of the old 4 cylinder and back into the
turbo - wahooo

I found the problem to be a faulty hot wire flow meter.

Unfortunately, I tested the flow meter on the bench and it was within
GM Spec at the start of the investigation. This is also why the ECCM
didn't flag it as a problem.

When I re-visited the flow meter, after checking everything else under
the sun,  I found the dynamic spec (using vacuum cleaner) to be within
spec but on the upper limit.

I then sourced a new meter and it fixed the problem after clearing a
shit load of fuel out of the exhaust system.

I suppose the moral of this story is:

'Just because a component is within spec doesn't mean that it works
correctly.'

Bye for now

David West