Slight corrrection on VSS

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Tue Jan 5 23:41:31 GMT 1999

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Some days, weeks, months ago, some one mentioned that the VSS
> has nothing to due with engine fueling, well I wanted to make sure, but yes
> it does on the BCC AUJP.  Closed throttle with a VSS
> signal decreasing, does do a 0 injector oulse width, according to diacom.
> Also. appears in some 87-89 165 Vette stuff.  Those
> were not stock (vette) but I'd doubt a chip burner had the knowledge to
> invoke it.

That's decel cutoff, isn't it?  I used to own an '89 vette with the
digital dash.  One of the many things the dash would do was read out
instantaneous mpg.  I distinctly remember that if you let off the gas,
say in second gear and around 30 mph (like slowing for a stop sign),
about a half second after getting off the gas there would be a small
lurch, and the mpg meter would peg at 99.  When you slowed to the point
that rpm was almost idle, like 1200 or so, there was a much more
noticeable lurch and the mpg meter would drop to a reasonable value.
The service manual also confirmed that the ECM would shut off fuel
delivery under some deceleration conditions.  Mine was standard, does
the automatic bin do this?  seems like an auto could stall without the
drivetrain keeping the engine turning.

--steve