Water Injection Thread

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Wed Jan 6 15:07:01 GMT 1999

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Tom Sharpe wrote:

> > >It was an automatic transmission and differential in one unit bolted
> > >between the rear wheels (independent rear suspension).  I believe that
> > >the torque converter was attached to the engine.  It was an American car
> > >from the '50s or '60s ('60s, I think).  Do you have any idea what it is?
> >
> > That was an Oldsmobile... Not sure the year and model, but the "driveshaft"
> > was a spring-steel shaft for flexibility and went from the Flywheel of the
> > engine to the transaxle/torque-converter assy in the rear.
> >

> Pontiac Tempest. (I don't know if Olds had a variant).  Tom

Buick olds and Pontiac compacts in the early 1960s were fairly similar and
used a setup like this, based on the powerglide 2 speed. Pontiac cobbled
together a 4 speed version for racing but it was never very plentiful.
Corvair transaxles were similar in layout also except the engine was
bolted onto the rear.