Turbo header design

Clarence Wood clarencewood at centuryinter.net
Wed Jan 6 20:11:10 GMT 1999

  Several years ago I read an article on the design of a collector for V8's that produced a bolt-on 20 hp increase.  I thought the idea was very slick:  pair the tubes to their 180 out partner, baffle their exit into the collector.  In other words:  as tube #1 was pushing out exhaust the cylinder that tube #2 was servicing was on the power stroke;  as tube #2 started to extract it was helped by the vacuum created by the extraction of tube #1 which had just finished.
  My question is: why can't this be applied to the header of a turbo'd engine: pre-turbo.  I know that the turbine is already turning and therefor creating a vacuum; but, at velocities reaching .75 mach, wouldn't any tuning, like using the 180 out exhaust arrangement help??  I don't think the header tubes would have to be lengthened to any great extent but, the baffling would have to be in place.  Also, wouldn't the pairing of 180 out tubes help to more efficiently direct the vacuum created by the turbine?

Just a thought....

IZCC #3426
 1982 280ZX Turbo GL
 1966 El Camino