Turbo header design

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Wed Jan 6 22:53:21 GMT 1999

A turbo raises both the intake and exhaust pressure.  Scavenging works when
the local pressure is reduced during the exhaust stroke or a pressure drop
is created across the combustion chamber during overlap.  Relative low
pressure can be achieved even though the general pressures are above
atmospheric.  Its like running the engine on Jupiter.  A really efficient
turbo setup can have a higher intake pressure than exhaust but most street
installations have higher exhaust than intake.  Even an atmospheric engine
has higher exhaust pressure than intake at WOT.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>