Water Injection Thread

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Jan 7 00:23:57 GMT 1999

>Gwyn Reedy wrote:
>>
>> I don't remember it that way.
>>
>> Chevy had the rear engine Corvair.
>> Pontiac had the 'half of a 389 V8' 4 cyl with rear transaxle and the
>> driveshaft you saw.
>> Olds and Buick had the 215 aluminum V8 with conventional transmission and
>> rear end technology.
>>
><SNIP>
>
>Pontiac also ofered the 389 V8 in the early Tempest at some point, as
>well as several versions of the slant four (4bbl carb etc).
>  Not sure about 6 cyl. though.
>   BTW I earlier wrote that swing axle cars were 61-61....should have
>read 61-63.

The first 389 in any midsize Poncho, other than Jim Wangers' work, was in
the B body, '64, Tempest with the GTO option. Dad had one. That year, they
even had the cheek to spell out the option, as in "Gran Tourismo
Ommolagato"  (sp?) on the price sticker. I read it.

The four barrel option came on the 230 cid OHC (belt drive) in-line six
banger (first in '65).

Regards, Greg