Injector Duty Monitor

Stuart Bunning stuart at kenelec.com.au
Thu Jan 7 00:33:51 GMT 1999

I just purchased (yesterday) a automotive multimeter that has duty cycle for
measuring injector pulse width it displayes the result in % on the LCD
display. It also has RPM AMP OHM and VOLT settings.

This meter I got from Dick Smith electronics in Australia was only AUS$89
I testesed it last night connecting the + lead to the injector output on the
ECU and the - input to a available ground. It gives me about 3% at idle on a
3.8 litre v6 commodore about 10% at light cruise 20-30% slight accel and i
have got it upto about 80% which was just before rev limit on my car in
second gear so it seems to work fine. I will check it on my bench ECU to
clarify accuracy but overall seems like a good buy..

At 11:06 AM 6/1/99 +1000, you wrote:
>> Subject: Injector Duty Monitor
>>
>> On this subject, what is it that we really want to
>> measure? Duty cycle or the pulse width?
>>
>> The two designs presented (B. Bowling and C Hack),
>> are nice. But getting access to a PIC programmer
>> can be a problem. JDR carries a bunch of PIC's, and
>> the OTP 16C56 can be had for $4.50US, not bad. A
>> AT89C2051 w/flash is $7.00US, plus Christian's
>> design reads out on an LCD screen, nice again.
>
>Just want to make the point that I can take _no_ credit
>for the pwmeter.zip design. The guy who did it is Georg Lerm.
>I'm just a mere PS to GIF converter boy (That's where you
>start when you're a junior at CSH HQ - hopefully I'll get
>a promotion soon).
>

>> If there's enough interest, would someone with a
>> PIC programmer burn up a bunch for a group purchase?
>>

>I have designs for PIC programmer that can be whipped on
>a bread board in less than an hour and will program almost
>any PIC. Only requires two voltage regs, an open collector
>hex inverter and a coupla transistors/resistors/capacitors.
>

>Christian Hack
>christianh at edmi.com.au
>EDMI Pty Ltd
>Ph : (07) 3888 3066