Turbo header design

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Thu Jan 7 13:01:50 GMT 1999

A reasonably close approximation to true 180 deg. headers can be made with
the old tri-Y approach.  As Aaron wrote, true 180 would require merging 1-6,
8-5, 4-7, 3-2 which is difficult to make.  Merging 1-5, 3-7, 4-6, 2-8
enables cylinder pairs to share an exhaust pipe without interfering and is
relatively easy to build.  This is common in high output European and
Japanese V-8 engines.  Ferrari, on the other hand, uses a flat crank to make
a true 180 header easy.  Formula 1 and CART V-8 engines also use flat
cranks.

Flat crank V-8's vibrate like 2 4cyl engines.  A 90 degree crank V-8 has
complete primary and secondary balance with only weights on the crank.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>