Turbo header design

andy quaas realsquash at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 17:54:34 GMT 1999

I just saw an atricle in car craft (i think) where they did a header
test.  On naturally aspirated engines, the tri-y design header created
more HP and torque across the operating range (on a very mild 350
SBC).  I switched from hooker generic headers to doug thorley tri-Y
and the performance boost was noticable.  The first thing i noticed
was the weird exhaust note!  I didnt change pipes or mufflers when i
switched, but the exhaust sounds completely different!

Just some experience nfo.

Andy

---Clarence Wood <clarencewood at centuryinter.net> wrote:

>   The tri-Y approach sounds more like the article that I read.  In
the article, there were collectors for each bank.  Damn!  I can't find
the article!  It is here, under a pile of other treasures, somewhere.
Anyway, they talked about matching the cylinders on each bank to
scavenge, put in short baffles that led into a cone shaped collector
that narrowed into the exhaust pipe.
>   Now, I hate to share my ignorance with you all, but I have ran
into a problem understanding what is probably the most basic operation
of a V8 engine.  Here is what I did to determine what cylinders should
be matched:

>                 Firing order
>           1  8  4  3  6  5  7  2
> Stroke
>   1.      P  C  I  E  P  C  I  E
(P=power,C=comp,I=intake,E=exht)
>   2.      E  P  C  I  E  P  C  I
>   3.      I  E  P  C  I  E  P  C
>   4.      C  I  E  P  C  I  E  P
>
>   Why is cylinder #6 at a power stroke while cylinder #1 is also at
a power stroke?  I am trying to find out where each of the cylinders
are, in their four stroke cycle, when cylinder #1 is at its Power
stroke.  What am I doing wrong??  Where is cylinder #6, in its stroke
cycle, when cylinder #1 is on the power stroke?

> At 07:56 AM 1/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >A reasonably close approximation to true 180 deg. headers can be
made with
> >the old tri-Y approach.  As Aaron wrote, true 180 would require
merging 1-6,
> >8-5, 4-7, 3-2 which is difficult to make.  Merging 1-5, 3-7, 4-6, 2-8
> >enables cylinder pairs to share an exhaust pipe without interfering
and is
> >relatively easy to build.  This is common in high output European and
> >Japanese V-8 engines.  Ferrari, on the other hand, uses a flat
crank to make
> >a true 180 header easy.  Formula 1 and CART V-8 engines also use flat
> >cranks.
> >
> >Flat crank V-8's vibrate like 2 4cyl engines.  A 90 degree crank
V-8 has