Turbo header design

Clarence Wood clarencewood at centuryinter.net
Thu Jan 7 23:01:17 GMT 1999

WOW!  Thank you Greg!
  Now, how do you accomplish the task of giving the exhaust gasses somewhere to go freely during the "blowdown" part of the exhaust stroke?  What is the best header design to accomplish this for turbo charged engines?  For NA engines?  Is there one technique that seems to be more effective than other techniques?  Is it pipe width, or length or both?
  Also, what is "sonic energy"?  I know it refers to sound but I have never thought of sound as being part of exhaust energy.  How does sonic energy create a scavenging pulse?  Is it something you have to design into the header?  If so, what is the criteria for the design?  I guess what I am trying to ask, is, how do you look for this in a specific header design?  What tells you that the header design uses sonic energy effectively?  How does the tri-wyes header relate to the above?

<snip>