Turbo header design

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Fri Jan 8 02:21:09 GMT 1999

Clarence Wood wrote:

> I am having trouble relating the equalization of intake pressure to the exhaust port pressure.  I am not saying that you are wrong, just that I don't understand.

Imagine a NA motor with a really bad exhaust on a dyno at see level (14.7 lbs). Go up a mountain to 10K feet and measure the power. What is the power? (down) What is the power relative to the "pressure"?

Take the motor to the bottom of a really, really deep mine, say where the barometric pressure pressure is 2 atmospheres, (14.7 lbs boost). Got the idea???  Measure the power. Is it better??? Now put a better exhaust system on it. What happens?

The better the turbo is sized, (the closer to the peak efficiency island it is operating in), the lower the exhaust pressure will be relative to the intake (and vice-versa). It could even be lower but probably isn't.

Regards  Tom