Water Injection Thread [now U joints]

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Jan 8 03:45:47 GMT 1999

>Most closed [ball] type 4X4 front axle steering joints were Rzeppas but
>dana/Spicer did make an elcheapo replacement that looked somewhat like a
>rubics cube. dont know what brands/years used it, but I will bet that jeep
>would be a likely candidate. But I dont think they ever used anything
>bigger than a 44. IIRC, the first 4X4 to use anything bigger than a 44 was
>mopar with some HD 3/4 ton front axles.

Not so on use of bigger than a 44F. Dodge/Fargo W-300's (1 Ton) used a 70F
from I believe '58 until early '70's. Likewise with IH 1300 4x4's (1 Ton,
so called) and 1500 4x4's (1-1/2 Ton, so called). The Cornbinders all used
a Spicer 1480 series cardan joint inside the closed knuckle, most of the
Dodges used the one I was talking about inside the same size knuckle (which
is WAY larger than the regular closed knuckle on a Jeep or whatever else),
and it was a factory original. Never came across a Rzeppa joint in one of
the big knuckles. Also, never came across a Rzeppa in any of the little
ones much after about '55. After that they used (mostly, at least) 1310
series cardan joints.

First use of a 60 F I know of was in Dodge 3/4 Ton "Sno-Fiters" in the
early '70's, and same vintage Ford 3/4 Ton CREW cabs--the latter with the
same large size , closed knuckles. Those same big knuckles went on 44F;s in
Ford HD F-250's and IH 1200 (3/4 Ton) CREW cabs in the early '70's.

"So-called" used on the IH weight ratings cuz their idea of tons was sorta
like Hemi horsepower--quite a bit larger than anybody else's! Never seen a
1300 with less than 10K GVW rating on the factory tag, never seen a 1500
lighter than 14K , same place.

Regards, Greg