Injector Duty Monitor

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Fri Jan 8 06:59:09 GMT 1999

>From Waterloo Ontario - yes it would read as you state - but no problem.
>What we are trying to do is make sure the injector is not "locked on" or
>run in fire-hose mode. The "experts" say 80% is maximum, and in the
>scenario you propose, anything approaching 80% would be impossible.

Sounds to me like your reason for wanting to monitor "Duty Cycle" is to
primarily assess the remaining control headroom of your system and its
injectors?

It is true that you should size your injectors so as to obtain an 80%
maximum control duty cycle (you can run over 80%, but you have to know your
specific electromechanical dynamic injector constraints).

But, what do you want 80% of?..................In the earlier example, you
would want 80% of the time available for actual injection, or 80% of the
"Ultimate" time.

Once you use up 100% of the ultimate time, you will be out of control and
out of additional injection time,  even though your dash mounted duty
"meter"  would have you believe that you are at a super conservative 33%
duty cycle!

"Duty Meters" are great for certain tasks, I just think that they cannot be
universally applied to all injection control systems without an
understanding of what is to be measured and what is actually being measured.

Walt.