Water Injection Thread

Martin Scarr martins at efn.org
Fri Jan 8 15:32:52 GMT 1999

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Shannen Durphey wrote:

<snip>
> That said, I've heard stories about 350's swapped into Corvairs, and
> rear mounted.  I thought the original powerplant was CCW rotation?
> Anyone?
>
> Shannen

A 350 won't fit in the rear of a Corvair, it's too long.  A friend just
put a 4.3 in the rear, and it was a tight fit.  Yes, he built a reverse
rotation engine for it.

There were quite a few mid-engine Corvairs built using either the Crown
kit or the Kelmark kit.  The Crown used the 66-69 transaxle (with Saginaw
internals) in the stock location, and used an adapter and modified input
shaft to mate the SBC to the front of the transaxle.

The Kelmark kit turned the transaxle end for end, and mated to the SBC.
This drives the ring gear on the 'coast' side, and it doesn't last.

Check out http://magi.com/~gaube/corvair/norris01.html for a *very* nice
buildup of a Crown car.

Martin Scarr
'65 Crown Corvair