Electronic timing advance

Matt Beaubien mbeaubie at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Fri Jan 8 21:28:59 GMT 1999

Bruce,

> >The requirements are relatively simple:
> >1. Replace the existing twin contact breakers with an optical pick up
> >arranged to fire every 60 degrees.
>
> Crane Camshafts in Florida, USA, makes a universal optical ignition.
>
> >2. Disable the original advance / retard mechanism.
> >3. Feed the optical pick up output to a digital advance / retard unit
> >implementing a simple, programmable advance curve capable of at least 16
> >sites.
>
> Commercially MSD, Holley make said units,  kits are available from
> Australia, for a DIY.  Use the optics to trigger a oem ecm, and just
> use the ignition part of that.  If you want to do a total DIY visit 332EFI,
> you can get there off the diy_efi home page.

The Accel 49340 (IIRC) allows what the orginal poster is looking for. It
has adjustable vacuum/boost advance/retard as well as a N20 input. It may
require a magnetic reluctor-type signal to function though.

I don't think MSD makes something similar (you can only adjust the slope
and max advance as far as I know), and I'm not too familiar with the
Holley stuff. The Accel piece is ~$150-$200.

Hope that helps.

Matt.