Turbo header design

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Sat Jan 9 04:59:39 GMT 1999

Fred,

Well, I've got 4 XS1100s and they definitely get a punch from the 180 design
(95hp) stock.  And this was 20 years ago.  The uneven torque helps when the
surface doesn't allow an even transfer of power (like dirt tracks for
instance).  Then the uneven machines have a definite advantage as the lull
between strokes helps the tire 'grab' the track again.

On the 1100's though you don't notice any uneven firing.  2 cyl up each
power stroke but only one is on the power stroke.  The result is smooth
power pulses.

Like I said, Saturn uses the same basic setup right down to the ignition!
Can you swap them?  Well, not easily due to the fact the Saturn coils are
wired to run to a power control module which talks in turn to the ECM.  On
the Yamaha it is cruder.  But with proper wiring solutions, the coils would
work fine on a Yamaha.  What's more intriging, the fuel injection manifold
sure looks close to fitting the XS!  Nah, thought about it but have decided
on a custom fab unit.

Rick