Inquiry

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Sat Jan 9 05:23:22 GMT 1999

Hi Qiang,

There are many of the new motorcycles being offered that are being offered
(at least as an option) EFI.  Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda
are all offering at least one model with EFI.

If you start looking at bikes more than a couple of years old the ratio
drops very fast to something like (I'll guess 5%).  5 years back <1% (read
not many).

If I understand the rest of your question correctly and you're asking about
EFI on motorcycles in the 250 - 500cc range (1ml = 1cc more or less -
standard conditions and all) I don't know that the question applies.  EFI is
expensive and tends to be offered right now on the larger (more expensive)
machines.  I don't personally know of any motorcycles being manufactured
with EFI under 850cc.  Someone else may be able to shed more light on this.

what would it take to set one up?  A completely different question.  I'm
working on putting EFI on a 1100 4 cyl inline 4 stroke.  I'm planning on
using a PIC (microcontroller) with 2 8bit A/D inputs and 16 digital i/o
lines for control.  There are several methods of setting the system up but
some people on the list have experimented (at least initially) with just
random firing the injections in bank mode at a perset duty cycle (emulating
the old constant flow injection systems).  Idle isn't great but past say
2000 works great.

There are people on this list much, much better than I that could correct
me, expound on these ideas and lead you in the right direction.

Rick