TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sat Jan 9 09:37:18 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin wrote:

> I have pretty much disassembled and deciphered the TCC lockup code,
> and I feel I can add some code for a TCC lockup scheme, but I don't
> want to go to the trouble of adding it if it won't help.
>
> The current lockup occurs at 95 mph, which is way down in my rpm range for my engine,
> about 4400 before lockup, 4000 after lookup.  I am going to change this so that it locks
> up just before the end of the 1/4, somewhere around 105 or so.
>
> The second choice is to lock it up at say 76 in second gear and let it stayed locked
> through 3rd also.

Roger,

Why don't you use a toggle switch in your lap or on the shifter to manually lock/unlock the
converter. A couple of runs and you should have a pretty good idea what you want/need.

Another $0.02     Tom

PS I'm also worried about reliability locking the converter under WOT conditions. I would only
lock it to get a jump at the finish line (if you're bracket racing and you need it!)..