TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Jan 9 13:48:43 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Heflin <rah at horizon.hit.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Saturday, January 09, 1999 1:23 AM
Subject: TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Don't lock the TCC under full throttle!.
The TCC is much softer than the other clutches in the tranny to prevent it
from chattering.  I've gone thru 4 or so tranny overhauls in my 700R4.  Last
guy said ditch the TCC, and you'll never break it again.  Well put 50,000
on it, and it's still alive.  Cording to him what kills the 700's 4L60's is
the
TCC fllaking off and contaninating the fluid, and at a microscopic level,
getting embedded in the other clutches, and then they fail so like the 3-4
clutch problem is really caused by the TCC.  I will admit, that I'm hell on
trannies,
with all the calibration testing I was doing, but going to a non-lock up
converter was the best tranny money I've spent.  If you don't drive hard
often, or mileage is your primary concern ignore the above.
  Also, comparing the 700 to the GN 200 isn't a good comapro in my book.
The 200 as installed in a stock gn is light years ahead of stock 700, in
my opinion.  Very early in the gn program, it was looked at to haul 4
guys with misc hardware at WOT in pursuit situations.  The 700 was
never really successful at that, from what I've seen/heard.
  Bruce