TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Jan 9 14:46:40 GMT 1999

>Ok,
>
>I have pretty much disassembled and deciphered the TCC lockup code,
>and I feel I can add some code for a TCC lockup scheme, but I don't
>want to go to the trouble of adding it if it won't help.
>
>Without code changes (only data)
>
>The current lockup occurs at 95 mph, which is way down in my rpm range for
>my engine,
>about 4400 before lockup, 4000 after lookup.  I am going to change this so
>that it locks
>up just before the end of the 1/4, somewhere around 105 or so.
>
>No code change required for this:
>The second choice is to lock it up at say 76 in second gear and let it
>stayed locked
>through 3rd also.
>
>Here is the scheme that requires code adjustment:
>
>The third choice is to lock it at 76 in 2nd, unlock it in the lower rpms
>in 3rd and lock
>it back up just before the end of the quarter in 3rd.  The idea is to get
>the engine more
>quickly through the lower rpms,
>and lock the converter at the best moment to keep things around the
>power band.  76 mph in 2nd puts me just a bit higher than my HP peak.  The
>locking before
>the end of the 1/4 is because the car lurches pretty hard when the
>convertor locks, and
>currently after it lurchs the engine hits low rpms and more slowly accelerates.
>
>I know the GN guys had some schemes, are they similar to what I have and
>which one worked
>the best?
>
>I am also considering more serious code changes, such as adjustments to
>allow less fuel to
>be injected in 1st and 2nd to get a more optimal mixture.
>
>				Roger

I've been sorta lurking, reading the thread you have been talking about.
Now a couple of unsolicited comments on things you might want to consider.

If you are going to lock up the converter in 3rd, or whatever, and leave it
locked, you might want to consider whether there is some way to unlock it
briefly during the upshift, if it does not do this already on its own. Both
the tranny and the rear end will last a lot longer if it is unlocked during
shifts.

There is not much question that you will get more net power to the wheels
with the converter locked--if the engine is up into its power band. So
mebbe you want to think about a shorter rear axle ratio and locking it up
sooner rather than locking it up later. Of course, this might also require
more tire so as to avoid sitting at the starting line enveloped in a cloud
of smoke!

Regards, Greg