TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 9 17:28:02 GMT 1999

At 07:49 AM 1/9/99 -0700, you wrote:

>>Regarding the TCC, the only thing I'd be careful of is engaging the clutch
>>too soon and plowing the maximum engine torque through it. Most TCCs aren't
>>designed to handle the full torque of the stock engine let alone the torque
>>of a modified motor and may be damaged if locked too soon.
>>
>>I thought this was a problem for the GN crowd some time back where chips
>>were engaging the clutch to reduce driveline slippage (and thus get better
>>ETs/MPH) but the price was wasted converters after only a few runs...

Actually, the only ones having problems were the ones with a LOT of engine
mods and a bone stock trans/TC.

>Betcha they were not unlocking it during shifts---

Even the majority of them with transmissions that didn't break under WOT
lock weren't unlocking them at the shift...
They use a toggle switch from pin F of the ALDL connector to ground

Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.