TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Sat Jan 9 19:12:50 GMT 1999

> I've been sorta lurking, reading the thread you have been talking about.
> Now a couple of unsolicited comments on things you might want to consider.
>
> If you are going to lock up the converter in 3rd, or whatever, and leave it
> locked, you might want to consider whether there is some way to unlock it
> briefly during the upshift, if it does not do this already on its own. Both
> the tranny and the rear end will last a lot longer if it is unlocked during
> shifts.

If I rig it to detect 2nd gear, lock a say 75, and then unlock in 3rd
below 105, it should unlock pretty quickly while it is shifting.  That
also worried me, especially when I noticed there was code to unlock
things when a 4-3,4-2 downshift was occuring.  I think though this is
only an issue above 95 mph (that is where it locks no matter what,
even at WOT).

The problem is my powerband is pretty high, so I want to unlock it to
speed it through the non-powerband area.  Then it more a question of
messing around to determine the optimal speed to lock it.

> There is not much question that you will get more net power to the wheels
> with the converter locked--if the engine is up into its power band. So
> mebbe you want to think about a shorter rear axle ratio and locking it up
> sooner rather than locking it up later. Of course, this might also require
> more tire so as to avoid sitting at the starting line enveloped in a cloud
> of smoke!

I have enough tire for job.  So that is not really an issue.