TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Sat Jan 9 20:05:57 GMT 1999

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Bruce Plecan wrote:

> What kind of ET's are you running, and how do you plan on going?.
>
> Bruce

I am running about 12.7 at 108 right now.  My best 1/8 is 8.2 at 87.  One
thing I have noticed is that right after my 2nd-3rd shift, at 95 my
TCC locks and drops me about 500 rpm (from 4500 where I have decent
power to 3900-4000) where I don't, and I never really get back to the
powerband anywhere after the 1/8.  I figure on at least getting some
gain from moving the lockup from 95 to higher speeds so that I stay
better in the powerband.  It accelerates much better at 4500
(unlocked) than it does at 4000 (locked).   I am hopeing if I get
things tuned correctly I can get things down to more like a 12.2 or so
with just tuning.  I am running kind of rich below 4500, and in both
1st and 2nd gears (930-950 mv in 1st), and I believe I can make some
large improvements in that.  If nothing makeing the TC not lock should
be fairly help in 3rd.  It would also be helpful to make it lock in
2nd and allow me to go 2-3mph faster in 2nd therefore putting me
at higher rpms in 3rd.

I have done everything to the engine that can be done right now, I can
only enlarge the exhaust and headers more (go to a 3.5" single pipe),
or add nitrous (and destroy a tranny/rearend real soon).

				Roger