Non-linear fuel pressure reg - #2

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Jan 10 21:07:57 GMT 1999

>Just cut my regulator open.  Could I change the spring
>to a lighter spring with a faster rate to alter the regulator's
>rate rather than messing with the diaphram size?

I do not understand how you intend to get a "faster rate" from a "lighter"
spring?????

A softer rate spring would change the relationship of fuel pressure to
reference pressure--shift the line to the left as it were--giving lower
fuel pressure relative to a given reference pressure--and vice versa for a
stiffer rate spring, but neither would not change the "rate" (slope) of the
line. You need a bigger diaphragm to do what you are talking about.

But really, changing the rate of the spring will not have much more effect
than changing its length, as is done with an adjustable, linear rate
regulator.

If you want really STABLE regulation, you would need to use a device called
a "balanced port" regulator---but I rather doubt that any automotive fuel
pressure regulators have gone to this level of sophistication. A balanced
port regulator offers much lower "offset" (error) from its set-point with
changes in bypass flow than a conventional regulator is capable of
achieving.

But nice try!! :-)

Regards, Greg