Heat sink compound

KD6JDJ at aol.com KD6JDJ at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 04:09:46 GMT 1999

 Randy
  I realize that you are not seeking my guidance when you wrote::So on the
CS-130 alternators the neg side of the diode pack is
mounted to the case with HSC and has no screws to ground it. The
screws are all insulated.  On my last rebuild I used T & B"copper
kote" on the ends where the positive bolt goes thru it and on the
other end where I added an 8-32 nut and bolt to hold it tight and
ground it. the middle I put standard HSC.  Maybe the silver stuff
should be used on the whole thing?    Looked like a major flaw in
the design to me, as I have fixed about four of these all with dead
neg side diodes.
  But I have had a lot of experience with Delco designed alternators, and I
suggest that you consider your  design fix very carefully before you conclude
that 'they' have a design flaw.
  The CS 130 alternator does not have the reputation ( in my experience ) for
damaging negative diodes . It was my understanding that they are avalanch
diodes , expected to minimize the bad effects of transient voltage spikes . I
can get some very technical information if we need it  But, for now , I wanted
to submit to you that there may be another reason for the negative diode
failures that you have experienced.

  Also , how is the negative diode in your alternator connected to ground? I
understand that you have no screws to ground it , except the 8-32 that you
have added. I am certain that Delco intended to provide a GOOD connection
between the negative diodes and ground --- in a negative ground alternator.

  Or -- Have I misunderstood something here??

       Jerry