Fp regulator mods

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Mon Jan 11 06:32:23 GMT 1999

>Around this puck is a rather large diameter "slug". If I braze a pipe
>into the bottom half of the regulator of the same diameter as this
>"slug", and at the proper height (critical), the "slug" should act as
>a new seal.  Nothing fancy.  Just a brazed pipe about 0.95" O.D. in
>diameter and 0.80" in height.  This will remove 0.70 sq/in of fuel
>pressure exposed surface from the bottom side of the diaphram.
>This new surface area is approx. 57% of the original area.
>
>There are other concerns, like, will the slug act as a proper seal?
>This can be easily remedied by micropolishing its surface (2000
>grit paper on glass)
>
>In answer to your question above, the "venting" is to the fuel return
>line, if you can even call it venting.  It's more like a differential of
>pressure between the inside the regulator and the inside of the
>fuel return line.

OK, but that should work well enough. But the one thing that still is of
concern--you are right, it is kinda hard to tell from remote--is that it
sounds as if you might be greatly increasing the effective area of the
relief port. If this is true, the modified regulator's response would be
VERY jumpy--all over the place. Not what you want at all. Like trying to
drive a small finish nail with a three pound single-jack.

Greg