carbide cylinder bore conversion (Bore Tech)

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 07:58:38 GMT 1999

In a message dated 1/10/99 1:24:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, bearbvd at sni.net
writes:

<< Not really so when dealing with an 8 u inch polished finish. If the bores
 are the same diameter (within a couple of ten thousandths, and all
 straight, no prob. I thought about lapping each set of rings to its own
 hole, but decided that the extra block clean-up was a nightmare (not to
 mention stray lapping compound) waiting to happen. (Lapping compound in
 this case would be more like jewelers' rouge than what you are used to
 thinking of for lapping valves. WAY finer.) Lots of serious HP boat motors
 are pre-seated this way. It works. Also saves a LOT of break in debris from
 floating around insside the engine.

 Regards, Greg >>
You might try using your cylinder sleeve with a bit of Diamond Lapping
Compound. We used to use it on solid laps for very fine finishing on aluminum
and andodized surfaces for Hydraulic actuators. These were lapped for finish
and size and fitted with 0.0001-0.0002 slip fits. you might think about making
air cylinder operated vertical lap if you want to get it done quickly, also no
side load on the pistons that way.
Fred