carbide cylinder bore conversion (Bore Tech)

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 19:36:07 GMT 1999

In a message dated 1/11/99 6:53:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, bearbvd at sni.net
writes:

<<
 Hey---nice suggestion. Thanks, Fred. I was thinking of just using a spring
 or some other sort of a flexible connection to the ring holder, but lazier
 is always better!!!

 Where to find the diamond lapping compound?? Is there a variety of grit
 sizes?? If so which is best??

 Regards, Greg >>

Thanks, glad you liked the idea. Thought a bit of work and a couple of sensors
on the air cylinder, you could make the lap programmable.
You can get diamond lapping compound from most industrial supplies. Enco
Manufacturing has it 5 ml syringes with a soluble carrier for less than USD
10.00 per tube. Finest is 0-2 micron, coarsest is 36-54 micron.
Everyone on the list should get an Enco catalog. It is the Sears of machinery
both small and large.
Enco Manufacturing
5000 W. Bloomingdale
Chicago, IL 60639
1-800-use-enco
1-800-873-3626

On a similar note, there is a Nikasil facility somewhere in the states now.
they can coat cylinders with a Nickel Silicon coating by the explosion of a
filament wire. It has been used on Linerless cylinders from Porsche and a
number of small bore motocross bikes. Wish we had it when the Vegas were
around. Similar to Bore Tech in that you finish to size, and then coat. Works
fantastic as long as long you filter the air and oil. Good place for an Oberg
type filter.
Wish you luck on the experiment. Keep us posted.
Fred