carbide cylinder bore conversion (Bore Tech)

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 10:07:43 GMT 1999

In a message dated 1/11/99 8:31:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, bearbvd at sni.net
writes:

<< If memory serves, a pitch lap and rouge are what is used on glass for final
 figuring and polishing of optical lenses and mirrors. Also know a fellow
 who has been known to use toothpaste to lap gears from a motorcycle tranny
 to each other.

 Thanks!!

 Regards, Greg >>

Colin Chapman ( founder of Lotus cars) was rumored to have used valve lapping
compound to lap a pair of gears from different cars together to get a ratio
not availible. Of course, he only had about 40 HP running through them when
they were done, and it was for short term usage, so anything can happen.
Toothpaste is simply Diatomacious earth with clorine or ammonia as I recall.
We used Simichrome years ago for similar uses. You can buy powdered jewelers
rouge and other grits for mixing your own suspensions. Might try a Gun shop if
you can't find it locally. They use it for tumbling brass shell cases with
crushed walnut shells. Back in my youth (70's)  We used to use toothpaste to
lap the bearing races on our bicycles and skate board wheels. (old loose ball
days) and then add new bearings after the races had been polished. If you ever
need a flat mirror type finish on steel, use a flat plate, and after lapping
on the plate, put a piece of typing paper on it and lay some lines of buffing
compund on it like you were using a crayon. Lap and then finish with a final
lap on the blank paper. Used to make absolutely perfect faces on rivet setting
dies that wouldn't mark the paint in use that away.
Fred