Non Distructive testing (letting the smoke out)

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Wed Jan 13 00:57:44 GMT 1999

>Nother thing, what would be a "safe test" for how long overloading
>a driver would take.  If I wanted to see if something was going to
>work on injector drivers, how long in running them would it take to
>see if they fail?.
>  I have two items to test, running 16 injectors off of a 8 cyl TPI ecm
>  Running 4 P+H injectors where 2 are normally fittted.
>I would figure if the ecm gets only warm to the touch that would be one
>clue.
>Cheers
>Bruce

You've got two choices, either...........1)calculate the "RL" equivalent of
your new circuit, and deduce whether or not things will work with the
current driver that you have, or..........2)run your setup on a test bench.
Test bench time should be proportional to real world operating time.

Personally, I'd use an external injector driver, either purchased
"off-the-shelf" or homemade.

Bye;
Walt.