Factory Instrument Panels

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 13 02:35:15 GMT 1999

At 08:38 PM 1/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone ever used a GM gage package in anything that they have adapted to
>EFI?
>
>The reason I am asking is I need to adapt a tachometer module from a 90
>Turbo Sunbird to a 91 Sunbird.  The difference is the 90 is a four cylinder
>car, and the 91 is a 3.1V6.  The tach is reading about 50% higher in the V6
>(which makes sense because for every 2 pulses it expects to see, it receives
>three).
>
>If there is no simple solution, does anyone have a circuit that will delete
>every third pulse from the spark module?  I don't know what voltage the
>signal is, but it is a 3.1V6 with the distributorless 3-coil module.  Since
>there fairly common, i'm hoping someone knows ;)

Scott,
Usually there is a resistor to be changed in a tach for the number of
cyls... not sure if the dash's had a switch or jumper or socketed resistor,
but I can't see them using 2 different tachs for the same year, different
engine... I'd pull the guage cluster and check around the tach circuitry.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.