TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Tom Parker tparker at nznet.gen.nz
Wed Jan 13 11:33:28 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin <rah at horizon.hit.net> wrote:

>I am not worried about the torque multiplication.  I am just happy if
>the torque convertor is slipping enough to put me at a higher torque
>position on the engine.  Probably before the TCC was locking up at
>somewhere around peak torque, now my peak torque is higher, I guess I
>should lock it around peak engine torque.

I know virtually nothing about automatics, but if I had such a cammy engine
with a manual box, then I would just wring it out further before changing
gear. In my mini I slip the clutch and/or the wheels at about 3500-4000 rpm
until the wheels stop slipping, and the wring it out to 7000 or so. Changing
gear, even with a standard gearbox still keeps me in the power band.

Why can't you just move the shift points of the auto? I suppose they must be
difficult to change or you would have done it already, right?

Tom Parker - tparker at nznet.gen.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/