GM TPI tips for a newbie

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Jan 13 23:45:17 GMT 1999

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Charles Brooks wrote:

> Hi all, I joined the list to gain more info on EFI operations
> and maybe a little knowledge, If I don't get lost too quickly!
>
> I have a 1987 Monte Carlo SS as a pet project. I recently
> installed a built 406 and I've been contemplating an EFI swap.
> Well, I stumbled onto a TPI setup from a 1985 5.0 Camaro and
> contemplation time seems to be over :)
>
> The 406 flows A WHOLE LOT MORE AIR than the 5.0 so I know I
> need to use larger injectors. My guess was 28-32 Lb units but
> I'm not sure. I've spoken with a few places about a custom
> chip for the ECM but everyone seems to carry "Off the Shelf"
> chips instead of doing any custom work. I'm unsure of my
> options at this point.
>
> Charles

I don't think a 5.0 intake will flow enough air to feed a 406.  That
will be your major restriction.  There are aftermarket (ACCEL) intake
manifolds that should flow the required amounts but aren't cheap.

On the custom chips, there are people on this list reverse engineering
their chips and determine what addresses need to be adjusted to get
the needed performance.  I am working on my 93 Z28 computer.

				Roger
				93 Z28