GM TPI tips for a newbie

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Jan 14 00:42:34 GMT 1999

Hi, Charles.

The first thing to consider is that the early style TPI is a great
torque producer, but tended to run out of oomph! above 4500 rpm.  What
rpm range is your 406 built to make power in?

Next is that the larger the cam, the more "tuning time" needs to be
invested in order to get "bug free" driveability.  There are many
stories around of chip tuners who just couldn't get it right.

There is a lot of information contained in the letter archives for
this list, which can be linked to from here
http://efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/diy_efi/

And this page has a fuel injector size calculator:
http://sura1.jlab.org/~grippo/auto.html

Have fun, and welcome to the list.
Shannen