O2 bung brazing/welding?

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:51:29 GMT 1999

Shannen Durphey <shannen at grolen.com> wrote:

>I've been successful drilling a hole in the pipe/header large enough
>for the sensor portion of the O2 sensor, and welding an 18mm spark
>plug anti-fouler around the hole.  The anti-fouler needs to be cut
>short enough so the sensor protrudes into the exhaust stream.  If you
>find a source for more "professional" bungs, please post it.

I've seen O2 bungs (weld-on) available form JEGS - near the Holley
Projection pages.  I think it was about $10??

(sorry - I don't have my catalog with me at the moment)

Another option is to find the thread size of the O2 sensor, and weld on
an appropriate nut with that size thread.  If memory seves me - most O2
sensors have some form of metric threads... (I did this once).  I brazed
my O2 nut on w/o problems but the application wasn't super
performance...  I was able to find a thin-enough nut (to keep the O2
sensor up in the stream) at a bicycle shop or something odd like that...

Once I brazed a small nut onto a friend's headers on a 307 Chevelle, as
a mounting point for the clutch return spring. :) That has held on for
over a year w/o problems, and this guy beats the hell out that motor...

-Bill