TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sat Jan 16 17:14:12 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin wrote:

> > >I am not worried about the torque multiplication.  I am just happy if
> > >the torque convertor is slipping enough to put me at a higher torque
> > >position on the engine.

Not ever having run a lockup (except in mama's cars), My advice may be
questionable. IMHO, there are a couple of tenths to be had with race style, non
lockup converters  ... they can be tuned also. I had a 2400 lb, 482 BBC sand racer
w/ T350 and several converters. I had plenty of torque but it wouldn't MPH on the
big end. (4.3 sec @85 MPH in 300 feet!!!) Going to a custom converter solved my
problems. They can tune torque multiplication, stall, flash stall, and lockup %.
(stators, fin clearances and fin angles). I have a Fairbanks 10" rebuilt by TCI. I
asked for normal to minimal multiplication (I had too much torque) and as much
lockup as possible over 5000 rpm and efficiency. I didn't care about stall speeds
as most big motors can easily get a 10" converter over 2500 rpm.

It is now in my Cobra and gets 25+ mpg at 75 mph and stalls > 2500 with a small
block and runs 11 flat @ 125, shifting at 5900. The converter is not for sale. Go
figure.  Tom