GM TPI in the 400 SBC

Mark Romans romans at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 16 18:03:13 GMT 1999

TPIS's book, insider hints, on page 17 shows a chart with a 383 w/airflow
research heads, big mouth intake ported plenum, 58mm throttle body and
modified maf using for comparison purposes the stock runners, slp cast,
lingenfelter cast, tpis extruded and tpis siamesed runners.  Obviously the
stock runners at 1.470 diameter id were down from the others oh hp and but
torque was similar but at 700 to 1000 lower rpm band.  With the stock
runners it made 469.6 ft lbs at 3750 rpm's and 390 hp at 5750. The biggest
jump was to the siamesed runners (Which are no longer made by tpis) at 462ft
lbs at 4250 (Actually down) and 427.7 hp at 5750 rpms.  So the stock runners
are not that much of a limitation.  The whole thing works as a system.

I would recommend that anyone wanting to do any playing with a tpi system
buy the tpis book.  They have exhaustive flow tests on every component
documented in this book.

A 406 with a tpi ought to be a really fun combination.

Mark