engine tranny mating

Mike Pilkenton mpilkent at ptw.com
Sun Jan 17 00:30:10 GMT 1999

Well I've included three list of experts so I hope someone can help me out.
I have a 3.1L GM V6 from a 92 Camaro (basically the 3rd generation 2.8L
motor) and a Borg Warner T5 tranny from a 87 S10 Pickup that I need to mate
together for my Kit car project.

    You may ask why not the T5 that came with the Camaro?  Well the T5 is
basically the same throughout the years but the S-10 version has the shifter
7 inches closer to the engine than the Camaro version that is all the way in
back.  Problem is the clutch assembly doesn't line up with the spline
location on the tranny input shaft.  The splines are the same, just too far
forward.  My guess is the Camaro flywheel is about 1/2 inch thicker than the
2.8 version putting the clutch and pressure plate closer to the tranny.
Anybody have any knowledge of these parts?  Any Fiero folks doing the 3.1L
conversion trick know if the flywheels and clutch parts from the Camaro are
different?  Will the 2.8 flywheels bolt to the 3.1 crank?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike