Pingin'

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Jan 17 19:00:10 GMT 1999

>With coming into a '85 turbo EXP (w/ a turbo leaking oil into the intake side)
>the car had EXTREMELY bad detonation.  When I repaired the turbo (stopped the
>oil leak) the detonation went away (and all that blue smoke :) ).  I've heard
>that oil in the air/fuel mixture causes detonation and I'd like to know why?
>Any intelligent answers out there??
>
>Thanks....

Motor oil is generally pretty low octane stuff, and also high cetane,
whichever way you care to talk about it. It is an effective, if not good
diesel fuel, it likes to auto-ignite. A motor oil leak into the turbo
compressor on a (some are turbocharged) GMC two stroke diesel can cause it
to overspeed to destruction---

Regards, Greg