DIS Integration

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Mon Jan 18 13:59:07 GMT 1999

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 Tedscj at aol.com wrote:

> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:11:54 EST
> From: Tedscj at aol.com
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: DIS Integration
>
> In a message dated 1/16/99 8:56:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, nacelp at bright.net
> writes:
>
> << s the following correct?.
>
>  There are three Buick v-6 DIS setups
>
>  1.   85-87  RWD  that uses a crank sensor, and a cam posistion
>  sensor that would go where the distributor would normally.
>
>  2.   FWD using a crank sensor, and then the cam sensor is in the
>  timing chain cover (meaning there are two separate sensors).
>
>  3.  FWD where both the crank, and synch sensors are located
>  on the crankshaft pulley.
>  Thanks
>  Bruce
>   >>

> Well, I converted my car to DIS.  My DIS came from the FWD 2.8 and 3.1 V6's
> from about '87 to '91 (maybe later) J-bodies.  But I don't think it was used
> on any Buicks.
> It utilizes ONE sensor reading off the crankshaft from about it's center (the
> sensor goes in to the center of the block).  There are 7 pulses.  1 every 60
> degrees (TDC, TDC+ 60, TDC+120, etc.) plus 1 additional at 10 degrees after
> TDC for the sync.
> I just welded some bolt heads on to the edge of one of my pulleys in the
> appropriate places and then created a bracket for the sensor and it worked.
> Again, there is only ONE sensor that transmits ALL pulses PLUS the sync pulse.
>
> HTH
> Ted

how are you handling advance? I'm trying to pin the cavaler (sp??) dis
module on my Landrover ( getting rid of the @#$!$# lucas stuff) and the
engine is down abit in the advance with just the dis built in adv.

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8